Spa Finder, Inc

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Poppy's Guardian Angels

So I've been sprucing up around the house--planting here, container gardening there, adding flowers in the front, rescreening, painting and creating an "outdoor room" on the patio in the back...

With all the changes (inspired by the new roof we had to bite the bullet and get--no more squirrel scampering--yea!) I thought a new mailbox was also in order.

My brilliant, handy dad was over yesterday afternoon to take the old one off and install the new one on the post for me.

Now, my street is a relatively quiet one. It's on a circle, so the only traffic is essentially the neighbors. And on a Friday early afternoon, the flow is almost non-existent.

But not at the moment Poppy was on the street installing the mailbox. A car speedily rounded the corner onto the circle and came careening toward my father a little too recklessly and close for comfort. Thankfully, he's still a fit and nimble guy for his age, and he was able to jump out of the way to safety.

Soon on the car's heels was a tentative police cruiser. Poppy put two and two together and rigorously motioned to the cop the direction in which the car had gone. It was then was off in hot pursuit, and judging by the sirens and sounds of commotion on the other side of the circle, he got the car that had tried to duck him.

Now, I'm going to have to truthfully bare darkness here for a minute, because I tell you what--had that car hit my father and run off, I would have hunted down the driver and beaten him/her down with everything I had.

Whew. OK, now with that honest, knee-jerk reaction moment passed, I will say I'm SO grateful that it didn't have to come to that, and that Poppy's guardian angels have just been added to The Thanks Ranks.

And the new mailbox looks really good on its perch!

No comments:

Magazines.com, Inc.