Spa Finder, Inc

Friday, August 17, 2007

Do The Right Thing

Perhaps you've seen it in your travels online... the looped video banner ad with the two Black women in their workspace dancing, droppin' it like it's hot and sweepin' the floor with it, only to be "surprised" when they discover the camera on them.

"Hate" is a strong word that I rarely use, but it's most accurate for describing how I felt about this spot whose relevance to refinancing mortgages, home loans and home equity I questioned.

I got so tired of seeing it everywhere I went online that I couldn't take it anymore. Last Friday I contacted the customer care division of lowermybills.com--the perpetrator.

I shared with them how I found the ad offensive and not truly representative of how women of color, particularly those of African decent, conduct themselves. I challenged that their ad was irresponsible, only fueling negative stereotypes and presenting a skewed view of how those belonging to this segment of people behave in a workplace setting.

I reasonably implored the marketing department to retire the spot, noting that I'd spoken with others who shared my view, and that the ad reflected poorly on the integrity of their company.

Well, I heard back from M. Dimsey in customer care who thanked me for my feedback, and assured me that my comments would be forwarded to their marketing department.

Lo and behold, as I think about it, I've not seen the ad this entire week. How about you? Let me know, 'cause I really, really do want to know.

Giving credit where it so far appears due: M. Dimsey and the marketing folks at lowermybills.com, for listening and responding, you've just been added to The Thanks Ranks.

Lesson learned and added to The Thanks Ranks: One voice can make a difference. It isn't likely the only voice, but one that helps tip the scales. Act on your convictions and see what happens.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Magazines.com, Inc.