Spa Finder, Inc

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Mark of Distinction

Wow, is it Tuesday already? :-)

Family converging on Atlanta this week, starting today. Don't know how much you'll be seeing of me in this space over the next several days...

But folks have been seeing a good deal of Baby Girl, as she's been out and about with me running errands. I don't know if it's because she's now, at one year old, more mobile and hence more "visible" to strangers, but this past week we've received a record number of well-meaning (I think?) but unfiltered comments about the small but clearly noticeable Australia-shaped birthmark that's located below her right eye:

"What's that on her face?"

"Oh... is that her birthmark...?" (with pity so thick you could cut it with a knife)

"I see you, pretty little girl, with your BIRTHMARK."

"Oh, she's GORGEOUS. What is that--a birthmark? Oh honey, you could put a little cover-up on that and she'll be fine."

Yeah, and these are adults. She hasn't even entered the "kids can be cruel" realm.

So although I and those who love her find her birthmark endearing and a non-issue, I'm seeing that I'm going to have to be proactive in building her self-esteem in spades, so she'll feel about it as we do and be ready to respond confidently and assuredly when she's hit with such comments from those not so familiar.

My initial search has brought me to a book entitled, "Buddy Booby's Birthmark", and it's just perfect. I'd love for you to check out the clip featuring it and its amazing young author and his mom that aired earlier this year on The Early Show on CBS. Click here, scroll down to Wednesday, January 3, 2007, and you'll find the links.

Evan and Donna Ducker, and those who take just a moment to think before speaking--embracing the beauty of and beyond the mark--you've just been added to The Thanks Ranks.

4 comments:

Buddy Author said...

Hi Lisa!
First off - Congratulations on your baby! While googling, we were SO surprised to see the mention of our book, Buddy Booby's Birthmark!! Being added to The Thanks Ranks is one of our greatest honors! It means more to us than you can ever know. We were rejected by every major publisher out there, (because they all felt, children without birthmarks wouldn't be interested in the story). That has NOT been our experience, in the many schools we've visited this past year. On the contrary, the kids we've met can all relate to Buddy and his birthmark in their own way...as well as to how it feels to have grown-ups say hurtful things. We really appreciate your support, and hope you enjoy the story for many years to come. Give that beautiful baby of yours a big hug from us! Stay strong and, although it's difficult, try not to let the ignorant people ruin your good days! All the best of luck, health and happiness! Thank you again! Donna and Evan Ducker

Grateful Lisa said...

Donna and Evan, you've made my evening. I am delighted to hear from you and honored to share your story with others, as it's been a source of inspiration to me. All good wishes to you too.

BeverleyF said...

BE DIFFERENT BE HAPPY

Dear Lisa

Congratulations on your baby. I have a facial birthmark and live in the UK and have become good friends with Donna Ducker, even though we have never met but we hope to when I come to USA next month.

I speak about Buddy Booby whenever I can as I am a mentor and speaker. It is such an important book and the children I read it to simply adore it! Even the adults love it!

I was so excited to read how positive you are and the lovely comments about how endearing your babies birthmark is and how it resembles Australia! - I ran to the mirror to see if my mark matched a country! I am actually half British/half Aussie so I would love it if my mark matched England or Oz but I cant recognise anything as yet but I shall scan the Atlas to see if it matches anything - that would be quite cool :-)

Maybe you would like to visit my inspirational website www.LoveYour Mark.com - it contains positive stories of children and adults who look different and are confident, strong and true inspirations. People all over the world are finding strength from these stories, particularly if they are going through difficulties.

Bless you for being so 'grateful' and positive. You have really made me smile!

Beverley Fulker
UK
www.LoveYourMark.com

Grateful Lisa said...

Beverley,

I am so amazed and moved to have "met" you through Donna and Evan. Oh, the exponentially positive power of "www." when it's used for good.

I did indeed go to your site, www.LoveYourMark.com. I thank you for sharing your experience and the work that you are now doing through counseling and mentoring. There's no doubt in my mind that you're making a wonderful difference in the lives of others--those with and without birthmarks.

I read your story and every last one of the inspiring stories from others on your site. I've shed tears and also harvested the many insightful and affirming pearls that I will share with my daughter as she matures.

Blessings upon you and your continued work. Today, you've helped me become a better mother. You've just been added to The Thanks Ranks.

Magazines.com, Inc.