Spa Finder, Inc

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Welcome Joeann - Thanks in Action


New Year's resolutions. I haven't made them since, oh, say 2002, but I do take time to reflect upon how I'd like to use my life to make a difference in the lives of others in the coming year.

In my travels as a Goodwill Hunter, I came across a woman who is tirelessly doing some amazing things to that end.

Joeann Fossland is, among many roles, a certified trainer, coach and real estate professional. She is also the leader of the Web Women Giving Circle, a group of professionals who are presently leveraging their talents and resources to raise money for CARE, a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty.

WWGC's specific focus is on working with poor women, with the belief that armed with the proper resources, women can help whole families and entire communities break the stronghold of poverty.

Joeann has embarked upon a virtual whistle-stop tour for CARE, making visits to blogs to chat about this effort.

Always game for something new and making new friends, I invited Joeann to drop in today for a "Three Things on Thanks" Q&A:

ME: C'mon in, Joeann. Welcome to The Thanks Ranks. Make yourself at home. May I offer you a glass of sweet tea?

I read that you were a single mom on welfare in the 70’s and it was from that experience that you gained a real appreciation for how challenging it can be to make a living and be a great mom. Hence, when you regained your self-sufficiency, you were moved to support women’s causes.

Your story is a fascinating, inspiring one. Tell me, to what or whom do we owe thanks for compelling you specifically to establish the Web Women Giving Circle?

JOEANN: Hi Lisa, thanks for inviting me to your blog. It was a project that More Magazine rolled out in the late Spring. They created an intention to raise $1 Million Dollars for CARE to impact women and children through micro development and their other great programs which impact health and hunger.

They created a contest for Giving Circles to compete on who could raise the most money in 2006. I love contests and I love helping women and children, so I was inspired to contact my friends from all over the country (many of whom supported me by helping raise $7K for the Liver Foundation when I ran a Triathlon a few years ago). We had 11 people who joined the Circle with a pledge to raise money, either by donating or helping with projects.

ME: I love MORE Magazine. They're really making “50 the new 40” and “40 the new 30” in a way that makes me look forward to getting, uh, wiser.

So you came up with this idea, got “buy” with a little help from your friends, and then they told someone, who told someone, who told someone… and now you’ve raised $21,340 toward your goal of $100,000. That’s fabulous!

My career background lies in the nonprofit sector, so I have a tremendous amount of respect for what you're doing with the Web Women Giving Circle. When I hear the stories of the women being empowered through CARE's efforts, I can't help but appreciate my own circumstances all the more. How can my blog friends and I make a difference?

JOEANN: I feel the same way. I traveled in South America in '78 and '88 and was amazed at how very poor most of those countries are.

There are two ways to help:

First, we have a donation page that links to our giving circle where people can donate directly to CARE.

Or, for real estate agents, we have some wonderful sponsors who have donated their tools for us to sell as premium packages ranging from $20 to $150 each and worth over $295. By buying a premium package, you get a tax deduction for business expenses, tools to help you grow your business and 100% of the money is the donated to CARE. You can view the package here.

Isn't this funny, Lisa, in Blogosphere, one can talk in hyperlinks!!!

ME: It is something. I'm amazed daily by what's possible on the web.

Hey KC and DB, did you catch what Joeann said about how real estate agents can get involved? ;-)

What are you grateful for today, Joeann? Who would you like to add to The Thanks Ranks?

JOEANN: I am thankful everyday to be above ground! And I am so lucky to be surrounded and supported by many inspiring women and men.

By the way, your readers might be interested in one other project we developed for the Circle, called www.InspiringWoman.com. It is a place to recognize anyone who has inspired you and that you are grateful for being in your life and we are asking people to make a $10 donation to CARE to post! What a great way to say thank you to someone!

And, of course, I'd like to thank you for all you are doing! Everyone needs thanks and gratitude is sure an attractive energy. I like to say that gratitude makes our hearts rise, like yeast in bread! You truly have a BIG HEART! Thank you.

ME: Well, I really appreciate that Joeann. What a great analogy. Thank you.

So tell me Joeann, with all you've got going on, when do you sleep? :-) Oh, wait. That’s four questions, and we did call this Three Things on Thanks”, right?

But I am so delighted that you stopped by The Thanks Ranks today, and wish you safe travels and continued success on your tour.

To you, your 11 friends and all who have and plan to support the CARE-ing efforts of the Web Women Giving Circle, you’ve just been added to The Thank Ranks.

1 comment:

Chanel (nbr5) said...

Wow, that's great! Joann is doing a wonderful service!

My husband is a Real Estate Broker here in Louisiana, so I'm gonna pass this info along to him as he might like to share with his Agents how they can participate.

Micro Enterprise Development is also big here in Louisiana! My mother is an Executive Director in the non-profit sector (affordable housing) and they offer Micro Enterprise Development classes to people who want to reach that next level of self sufficiency. It's a wonderful program that is so needed in our communities, so I so appreciated reading this piece on how Joann is doing so much to further this cause!

Magazines.com, Inc.