Spa Finder, Inc

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Nothing Like A Mother's Love

Hubby-Honey and I gave up watching TV for 2006. To reward ourselves, we enjoy "Movie Night" on Fridays, courtesy of Netflix.com.

Our film tastes are eclectic. Last week we watched a British import, Kinky Boots, and loved it.

As the credits rolled, we were both struck by a cheeky tune with much attitude entitled, "In These Shoes" (click on the player below to listen, and see if the song doesn't stick in your head all week long like it did with ours).



When we began playfully using the phrase in response to situations where we knew we wouldn't do or allow something (i.e., Me: "Hey Love, do you know they're charging $1360.00 for this advent calendar?!" Hubby-Honey: "In THESE shoes...?"), I just had to get more info on the song.

After a brief online search, I was unexpectedly faced with a tragic story that moved me.

I learned the song was written and performed by a talented British pop singer-songwriter named Kirsty MacColl. Sadly, she was killed in 2000.

While diving with her family off the coast of Mexico in waters where boats were prohibited, she saved her son from being hit by an oncoming speedcraft, at the expense of her own life. A good deal of controversy surrounded her death and the justice (or lack thereof) that was handed down from the courts. Consequently, Kirsty's mother, Jean MacColl, launched a campaign, Justice For Kirsty, in pursuit of someone being satisfactorily held accountable.

As a mother this story struck a particular chord with me, as I did indeed put myself in both their shoes. I'm compelled to lend my support.

I am delighted to have met Kirsty through her music in which she lives on, and appreciate her and her mother's example of supreme maternal love. They've both just been added to The Thanks Ranks.

No comments:

Magazines.com, Inc.