Spa Finder, Inc

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What's My Motivation?

I belong to a MOSAIC group. We've been meeting for just over a year now, and this month it was my turn to facilitate our discussion.

At our last meeting I had charged the group to view the movie Finding Forrester. Given our diverse backgrounds, I believed a number of the film's themes (i.e., friendship, race, socio-economics) would make for meaty material from which we could share our perspectives.

My original intent was to play scenes from the DVD and have us dissect them. But honestly, my two year-old navigates the scene selection functions better than I do, and I had a feeling trying to do this was going to be a recipe for disaster that would only detract from what I was trying to accomplish through discussion.

Then I got the inspired idea of having the different members of the group read the scenes instead--assuming the roles of the characters that seemed to be least like them. How fun, yet powerful, could that potentially be--this group of grown women expressing the words and thoughts of, say, a 16 year-old 'round the way homey named "Fly", as though they were their own?

But that would require a script...

Enter Drew's Script-O-Rama. I find this guy after an online search (gotta love the web), and lo and behold, he's got the entire screenplay painstakingly transcribed. Yeah, it's not perfect, and for some explicable reason anything pertaining to numbers--actual figures--is missing. But whatever. It works.

With a somewhat painstaking effort of my own, I fill in the numeral blanks, make a few corrections, and voila! I've got some choice dialogues condensed to one page apiece. Perfect for our "readings".

Our group met this morning. Given the feedback, I believe everyone really enjoyed their turn at being an actress for a day, as we truly had an enlightened conversation around it all. It was made easy because of Drew's obvious passion for film.

Drew at Script-O-Rama, I don't know why you'd choose to do this, but I'm glad you did. You've just been added to The Thanks Ranks.

No comments:

Magazines.com, Inc.